Haw River Wine Trail:
Wonderful artisan wineries along the 50 mile long Haw River Wine Trail bring you the best of North Carolina’s Wine Country. This short scenic drive winds through the heart of rural North Carolina following the path of the Haw River. Located between Durham and Greensboro, the close proximity to NC’s Triangle and Triad area make this a wonderful, convenient way to spend a leisurely day of wine tasting and beautiful countryside.
- The Grove Winery: The 44 acre Guilford County farm features a small, artisan winery and the estate vineyards which are located on sloping, mineral rich land in the Haw River Valley wine country. The estate vineyards feature wine grapes that thrive in this microclimate: Merlot, Sangiovese, Nebbiolo, Cab Franc, Traminette and Tempranillo. All grapes are hand harvested and used for a limited production of about 3000 cases of premium wine each year.
- Benjamin Vinyards & Winery: A family owned and operated farm winery located in the Piedmont region of North Carolina. Situated just outside the picturesque town of Saxapahaw along the Haw River, the sandy loam soil of our vineyard is ideal for growing Muscadine grapes–including Scuppernong, the nation’s first cultivated wine grape–as well as viniferous French and French-American hybrids. Benjamin offer a variety of palate-tempting wines ranging in taste from traditional dry dinner wines to sweet country favorites.
- Iron Gate Winery & Vinyards: Situated on rolling farm land once producing Brightleaf tobacco, Iron Gate Winery is picturesque from all angles. Family owned by an energetic group of sisters and brothers. Iron Gate excels in many areas, especially in the tasting experience department. Having won over 19 awards since 2005, Iron Gate is one winery not to miss. Examples of Iron Gate’s wine include: Brightleaf White, Pack House Red, Dixie Dawn, Country Blooming, Flue Fire and many more.
- GlenMarie Vinyards & Winery: Glendale and Joyce Marie Dickey developed an interest in making wine after visiting wineries while vacationing. From a background in farming Glendale had the knowledge and desire to plant a vineyard. The Anderson Vineyard was established in 2000 with 23 varieties of French hybrids and American grapes. Examples of GlenMarie wine include: Dallas Red, Sweet Marie, Summers Promise, Golden Nugget, Carolina Springtime and more.
- Rock of Ages Winery & Vineyard: located in North Carolina’s southern Person County on the Moore family estate where tobacco was grown for generations. Communion wine was also produced on this land by Ernest Moore for area churches in the early 1900s. Now, his grandson, Kevin Moore and his wife, Kimberly, are carrying on that tradition as they are…”blending the old into the new.” The first of the vineyard’s 26 acres were planted in 2003. Construction began on the winery facility in November, 2005 and the grand opening was in October, 2006.
Our goal is to provide a complete touring experience of the Wineries & Vineyards in the Haw River and beyond, which is both fun and educational. Our private tours are offered on on-demand usually April through November, (subject to changes when circumstances arise). Contact us for private tour information.
Our all day tours include:
* Fun and informative wine tastings at 3-4 wineries (depending on route scheduled). Let us teach you the “technique” of wine tasting. We will discuss the history of our state’s fast growing wine industry, and the attraction of North Carolina’s wines.
* A delicious lunch in North Carolina’s wine country (inform us of special dietary needs).
* A chauffeured ride through our wine country, along North Carolina’s scenic highways and back roads.
* Tours depart at 10:00 AM from and return by 6:00 PM. Your groups pick up arrangements are made based on a common point around the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill) and beyond.
* Cost includes all wine tastings, winery and/or vineyard tours, lunch, and transportation.
Tobacco Road Tours wants you to have a pleasurable, meaningful, educational, fun filled day. Sit back, relax and enjoy the experience.
Our Motto: the purpose of FUN, is to have some, come join US!
Transportation Options for Scheduled & Booked Tours:
8 to 10 people — 14 passenger Club Van
12 to 30 people — Mini-Bus
31 to 57 people —Motorcoach
Transportation Options for Custom Tours:
We will use any transportation you desire inclusive of all the options above plus limousines and party buses. Additional fees incurred for alternative transportation methods.
Every Mom needs a little wine to overcome the whine in her daily life
Full day (8 hours) tours are available to Haw River Wine AVA. Minimum 8 guests.
Call us to book a Haw River Wine Tour:
Email at TRTservice@tobaccoroadtours.com
Our Policies, Terms, and Conditions:
Public Tour tickets may be cancelled up to 2 weeks prior to any tour for any reason.
Any ticket cancellations within two weeks of any tour may result in a non-refundable ticket. (Transportation, Food, Tasting fees are calculated in advance for each tour)
Private Group Tours may be cancelled up to 4 weeks prior to the tour for any reason. Cancellations within 4 weeks of the tour date will result in a $250 non-refundable fee to recover charges incurred, administrative expenses, and lost opportunity costs.
We reserve the right to adjust this policy at any time for any reason.
We currently accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express payment options online. All credit card details are collected using an SSL secured server, with proper encryption so that financial details cannot be compromised. We also welcome personal & corporate checks. Contact us for details for payment arrangements.
We respect your privacy. Any and all the information collected on this site will be kept strictly confidential and will not be sold, reused, rented, disclosed, or loaned. Any information you provide will be held with the utmost care and will not be used in ways that you have not consented to. If you have any questions, please feel free to call or e-mail us.